Monday, March 28, 2011

Twyla Tharp

What is scratching and how does Ms. Tharp suggest we do it? Knowing how you work in the studio, what methods, techniques, or tricks can you see yourself using from Ms. Tharp's suggestions? She's talking about dance. What would this behavior look like in the art studio?

Scratching is the way that we are to find ideas. Twyla tells us to explore new places, music, books, and art works but not to forget the established artists too. It's theses places and works that can spark a small idea that we can mold and allow to evolve into a bigger creation. I love going outside and seeing the shapes and textures in the world and letting them inspire how my next project will turn out. Since I haven't been as religious with my sketching I have been looking to things like buildings and places to inspire me until I get my personal style better established again before I go looking at other peoples' work. However seeing the way that other artists use their media shows you new techniques that you can incorporate into your own work.
For me actual dancing is what dancing in a studio looks like. I love being barefoot in the studio constantly moving to keep the pencil/brush/charcoal moving. The shapes, whatever they may be, change and I either hate or love them. It's the constant dance that keeps me from hitting a wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment